- Iris Institute
Update - Decision Tables for emergency codes U07.1 and U07.2
The new titles of the emergency codes are (note that the previous title of U07.1 has changed twice):
- U07.1 COVID-19, virus identified
- U07.2 COVID-19, virus not identified
The Iris Institute developed the following causal relations, taking into account that:
- public health interest is to give priority to the U07.1 and U07.2 as underlying causes of death (UCOD)
- the selection rules should not limit the acceptance of sequences reported by certifiers as concerning the consequences of COVID-19
The tables have been prepared by the Iris Core Group on the basis of the current knowledge and they could change following international advice. Iris preserves the codes of COVID-19 (U07.1 and U07.2) in the multiple cause string, so the multiple cause data can be used for the count of certificates mentioning COVID-19.
More over users can check the cases where COVID-19, although mentioned, is not selected as UCOD. There is also the possibility to implement a reject for these cases via the "Dictionary" and/or the "NonConsistentIcdCodes" (NCIC) table.
For more information about the novel corona disease, please visit the WHO website:
- Emergency use ICD codes for COVID-19 disease outbreak
- List of Official ICD-10 Update (including COVID-19 updates)
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Pandemic
You will find the updates for the decision tables here: